Friday, April 06, 2012

Am I Confusing My Mission with the Great Commission?

I am a pastor. I am and artist. I am an activist.

Sorry for the very narcissistical introduction, but I have been seeing these things begin to merge and I am not sure if I should be concerned.

This summer I will be traveling with a group of artists to raise awareness of social issues like slavery, child abuse and oppression. Is that something I should see separate from my identity as a Christian? This endeavor will take me away from the local congregation I co-pastor for up to six weeks.

On the other hand, we will be speaking at churches and in homes, to Christians and non-Christians, not just raising awareness but calling good people to action. Is that the work of the church?

Please feel free to comment. I am not posting this as a rhetorical statement. Are you an activist, a pastor, an artist? Where do you draw the distinction between one and the other? Or do you?

No comments: